Sunday, November 18, 2007

Cotarded

I've been trying to come up with a good first post for this new blog and I think I've finally got one. I decided my first post should chronicle another first: my first big mistake during my clerkships.

It was during my psychiatry clerkship, which let me say was surprisingly enjoyable, and i was working on admitting a new patient. The reason for admission is irrelevant, but for the sake of completeness let's just say he had Koro. The following conversation transpired:

Montgomery: Have you taken any psychiatric medications in the past?
Patient: I tried Celexa for a while.
Montgomery: Did it work for you?
Patient: I suppose, but I stopped taking it because it made me feel like a zombie.
Montgomery: (obviously intrigued) Really?? You felt like the walking dead, doomed to roam Earth for all eternity with no memory of your former self, killing everybody you encounter?
Patient: Well...no.
Montgomery: You had an insatiable craving for human brains?
Patient: No!
Montgomery: If not brains per se, a craving for human flesh in general?
Patient: No.
Montgomery: You felt as though your major organs had ceased to function and your body no longer had needs such as food or oxygen?
Patient: Of course not.
Montgomery: You felt your body was in a constant state of decay?
Patient: Are you serious?
Montgomery: You felt that your bite would make others become like you?
Patient: Please stop.
Montgomery: Well why don't you just tell me how it made you feel like a zombie!
Patient: I felt like my emotions were blunted and I was just going through my day-to-day without any feelings.
Montgomery: Are you *censored* kidding me? That's how you define "like a zombie?" Have you ever seen a *censored* zombie? Obviously *censored* not! If you're going to feed me *censored* lines like that *censored* *censored*, you can just get the *censored* out of my psychiatric unit! *censored*!!!

Needless to say, I got in a little trouble. But I learned my lessons
1. Everybody on antidepressants feels "like a zombie," but it has nothing to do with undeath or consumption of human flesh.
2. Yelling at patients is a no-no.
3. If you're going to kick a patient out of the psychiatric unit without approval from the attending, don't scream and throw a chair at them on their way out. Makes things a little obvious.
4. It's surprisingly easy to stick a syringe into a solid wood door from halfway across the unit.

3 comments:

Kyle P. Edmonds, MD said...

Here's hoping that this will sate the desire enough that we'll be able to stop digging though your trash at night looking for your rejected blog entries and discarded floss.

Random thought: can't they come up with something other than "word verification" for publishing these comments..."sbdfhce" is clearly not a "word" in the classical sense.

angesinclair said...

I have a constant fear that I'm spelling the "word" "wrong"

medstudent101 said...

whohoo!!! this made my day!!